Wednesday, February 22, 2006
During PBS' fund raising drives, one show that is heavily broadcasted these days is a show called Sandwiches That You Will Like. Sandwiches That You Will Like is a WQED Pittsburgh production that basically showcases the best sandwiches in the country. Here are some of the outstanding sandwiches that are highlighted in the show.
1. Muffulettas from Central Grocery. One of the greatest sandwiches ever created.
2. Cheesesteak from Pat's. See my analysis.
3. Shrimp Po' boy. Lot's of good places. I like them from Mandina's with some Turtle Soup au Sherry.
4. Pastrami on Rye from Katz's Deli. I thought Koch's Deli was great, but Katz's is the gold standard.
5. Barbeque sandwiches. I prefer pulled pork or rib sandwiches in a vinegar based sauce myself, but all barbeque is good. The Rib Stand at Reading Terminal Market makes a fantastic rib sandwich.
6. Lobster Roll from Red's Eats. Lobster meat on a buttered roll drenched in clarified butter. One of my missions in life is to try out this sandwich before I die, although the cholesterol might kill me when I do.
Other sandwiches of note that were showcased included:
7. Italian hoagies from south Philadelphia. The Veggie from Chickie's Italian Deli is fantastic.
8. Italian beef with hot peppers and giardinara from Chicago
9. Falafel sandwiches
10. Vietnamese Banh Mi sandwiches
11. Beef on Weck from Schwabl's. I recently had a Beef on Weck sandwich from Jimmy's Old Town Tavern. It was pretty good (though beef was well done...I prefer rare), and the Kummelweck roll with caraway seeds and kosher salt was the highlight of the sandwich.
12. The Elvis from Peanut Butter and Company. A peanut butter sandwich containing bananas, bacon, and honey, that's then grilled in butter.
The show prominently features Holly Moore, one of my gastronomical heroes who has some good reviews of greasy dives on his website. Roadfood.com also has some informative reviews as well. I highly recommend watching this show for anyone who appreciates cheap, yet delicious food. Oh, and make sure you have plans to eat you watch it because you will be hungry.